Science and research is at the heart of the UK’s growth, prosperity and wider wellbeing. Public investment in science and research is an investment in the nation’s future, ensuring that the UK has a productive economy, healthy society and contributes to a sustainable world. This unmissiable event is the only national event for higher and further education and is the only event in the UK to bring together senior decision makers and business leaders from the worlds of higher and further education to discuss, network, learn and procure services. This annual FREE to attend event is firmly established as a must attend event for the entire sector.
Whilst at the event, in particular, we encourage you to attend a FREE Conference presentation entitled HEAR FROM THE LEP: Accessing Funding, Fostering Growth and Working Together led by Professor Roy Sandbach, the Innovation Lead at North East Local Enterprise Partnership. Currently, Roy leads innovation strategy development for the North East Local Enterprise Partnership. This responds to recommendations from the 2013 North East Independent Economic Review led by Lord Adonis. The review recommended that the region become “an exemplar for smart specialisation and open innovation”. Plus, in 2013/14, Roy was the 10th David Goldman visiting Professor of Innovation & Enterprise at Newcastle University and holds visiting Professor positions with the Centre for Competitive Design at Cranfield University, with Northumbria University and with Central St. Martin’s College of Art & Design, London.
His session will cover topics such as:
- Implementing the Witty Review and role of LEPs in fostering growth
- Innovation through local partnerships and collaboration between universities and business
- What can your institution do to access some of the £5bn allocation from the European Structural and Investment Fund?
- Funding world class research through key funding opportunities such as the Regional Growth Fund
- Supporting Knowledge Exchange – Investing £160m fund from HEFCE to boost collaborative working
- Cross-LEP collaboration – Maximising the strengths of universities and colleges to boost opportunities for growth
Other Topics Covered on the day Include:
- Collaborating when the time is right – Making the right decisions for high quality research
- Achieving high quality in challenging times, protecting STEM subjects and widening participation
- Boosting research performance by fostering strong links with international HEIs
- Providing a globalised higher education experience for students
High Level Speakers Confirmed include:
- Rt Hon David Willetts, Minister for Universities & Science, Department for Business, Innovation and Skills
- Professor Sir Ian Diamond, Principal and Vice-Chancellor and Chair, University of Aberdeen and Universities UK Group on Efficiency
- Professor Malcolm Press BSc, PhD, Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Research & Knowledge Transfer), University of Birmingham
- Sue Holmes, Deputy Chair and Directorate of Estates and Facilities Management, AUDE Executive and Oxford Brookes University
For more information about the event please visit: http://www.thehigherandfurthereducationshow.co.uk/